The house of merchant V.M. Kubrin and outbuilding 1910-1912, 57 Auezov Street
Residential house of the merchant Vasiliy Matveevich Kubrin was built in 1910 by a Moscow architect in the form of a single-storey mansion with a high basement part. The architectural style of the mansion is eclecticism of the beginning of the 20th century. It composed of one and a half floor house, outbuilding with a basement premise and underpass connecting the outbuilding with the shop (subsequently the underpass was walled up), stables with coach houses and masonry barn-cellarage. An English style garden was set out in the yard of the mansion. The entrepreneur himself planted the trees, which are still adorning the yard. The mansion distinguished itself among other merchant structures with its architecture.
The monument is also connected with the historic events: there was a Workers’ and Peasants’ club, a library and then a city district executive committee. In October 1920, it was officially renamed to “First Council House”. From February 24, 1921, there were the headquarters of the revolution three, then Joint State Political Directorate, People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs and militia. The City Board of Education and Pioneer House worked in the building in the middle of 20th century. In the 80s of 20th century a local history museum was located there, collecting thousands of showpieces reflecting the pre-revolutionary history of the region, events of the Great October Revolution period, civil war and the Great Patriotic War, reclamation of virgin lands, rise of prosperity of the Soviet people during the years of postwar five-year periods.
Vasiliy Matveevich Kubrin is a son of an important Akmola merchant of the end of 19th century – beginning of 20 century, the founder of the trade house “Matvey Kubrin with sons and Co” – Matvey Konstantinovich Kubrin.
In accordance with the information of the Administrative board of the city, five residential houses were registered in the name of V. Kubrin’s entrusted trade house as of July 19, 1912, without consideration of shops and warehouses. Vasiliy Matveevich kept two carriages, four parade horses and was an inveterate hunter.
He continued family traditions having succeeded in commercial activities and playing a big role in the public and cultural life of the city.