Former Muslim School
The building is located in the center of the city, not far from the intersection of Abay Street and Republic Avenue. The history of the monument is related to the education, in the beginning of the 20th century the first Muslim school of Akmolinsk was located there. The Kyrgyz-Tatar elementary school functioned in madrasah since 1907, where 27 pupils studied. Later, the school was reformed to a 7-grade school. Boys studied in building No.31 and girls in building No. 29. Distinguished poet, writer and public person S. Seifullin taught in this school in 1912. Today, both buildings are used as production facilities of the Kazakh Drama Theatre named after K. Kuanyshbayev, which was founded in 1991.
The monument represents a provincial structure being one of the peculiar patterns of wooden architecture of the end of 19th century – beginning of 20th century. It is a residential house in the shape of a timber blocking imitating a Russian log hut. The magnificent fret wooden décor harmonically adorns architraves, arching, cornices and the central part of the carved fronton with doubled decorative dormer window. The Former Muslim school is a monument of the Republican significance.